Individual winter sports are preferred to mass tourism in the Val Venosta. The region’s ski areas are among the most environmentally-friendly in all of Italy and offer fun in the snow surrounded by the great outdoors. Winter walkers
too will find a large network of well-marked trails that run through snow-covered mountain landscapes and unspoilt nature. Skiers can indulge themselves beneath the slopes of King Ortler with over 100 kilometres of pistes in five ski areas, ranging from easy to challenging, while snowboarders can try out the fabulous snowparks
. The safe, well-prepared toboggan runs are particularly popular by moonlight, and the 6-km long natural ice rink on the Reschen Lake is just one of several opportunities for gliding across the ice
. The Martell Valley is meanwhile ideal for cross-country skiers and biathlon enthusiasts
, with the gleaming 3000-metre peaks of the Val Venosta – snow guaranteed – a must for avid ski tourers
. Experienced mountain guides are on hand to accompany the adventurous.
Winter in the Val Venosta is also a special time away from the ice and snow: there are the winter villages, the advent season in Glorenza
with its lights, scents and sounds, and the traditional “Koatlacker” Nicholas procession
in Prato dello Stelvio.
The ski areas of the Val Venosta at a glance
- Sulden: a glacier area with guaranteed snow, 15 runs and a total of 40 kilometres of pistes, 11 lifts, a funpark and deep snow slopes, toboggan run, a ski kindergarten and various eateries
- Trafoi: a family-friendly resort with 8 runs and 10 kilometres of pistes plus baby slopes, 5 ski lifts and refreshments at the Furkel hut at the top station
- Watles: 4 wide slopes totalling 18 kilometres, 3 lifts, a freeride piste, a downhill slope, snowpark, natural toboggan run and over 15 km of cross-country ski trails, ski kindergarten and several eateries
- Haideralm: 6 slopes totalling 20 kilometres of pistes of all grades of difficulty, 5 ski lifts, guaranteed snow, the starting point for extreme sports and paragliding, as well as for various snowshoe excursions, ski and snowboard school, refreshments available at the Berger Alm mountain inn and in the Igloo
- Schöneben: wide slopes and guaranteed snow with 30 kilometres of slopes for beginners and experts, 7 ski lifts, ski school and kindergarten, professional quality snowpark, guided ski tours and refreshments in the Iglu Piz and the ski lodge